In the Forums...
Posted: March 25, 2001
Written by: Tuan "Solace" Nguyen
The name of the game today is portability. Technology has to be portable. Whether in the sense of programming code, platform, weight, size or device, technology has to be portable. Without portability, thereís no connectivity.
Today, I put Plextor in the spotlight with its External PlexWriter 12/10/32S. The External 12/10/32S is Plextorís latest and greatest external writer. If you move around a lot, from office to home letís say, youíll want to be able to write CDís wherever you are without fuss. The PlexWriter is a joy to work with but it also carries some hefty pounds.
If you havenít read my other PlexWriter reviews, fly over to the review section for them or click on the following links:
PlexWriter 12/10/32S Internal
PlexWriter 12/10/32A Internal
PlexWriter 12/4/32S Internal
Plextor to Go!
Along with its internal drives, Plextor has always produced external drives as well. Recently though, it hasnít made an external version of a 16X writer yet but the latest rendition is a strong performer anyway.
Basically, what Plextor has done is taken its award winning 12/10/32S Internal drive, wrapped a sleek shell around it and made it totally portable. This drive wouldnít be one that you would lug around with your laptop though. This drive is pretty hefty and is meant for those who shift back and forth between office and home or a friendís place and home. The drive itself weighs as much as a laptop.
Before I go on with the review, I recommend you read my shootout review between the 12/10/32Si and the 12/10/32Ai drives because the 12/10/32Si has the same specifications as the 12/10/32Se.
- Ultra SCSI Interface
- 3-in-1 drive: 12X CD-R, 4X CD-RW, 32X max CD-ROM
- BURN-Proof Technology
- 150ms Average Random Access
- 4 MB Buffer
- Records highest quality audio CDís
- Capable of Digital Audio Extraction at 32X max
- Supports CD-DA; CD-ROM (Mode 1); CD-ROM (Mixed Mode); CD-ROM XA (Mode 2, Form 1 or Form 2 and Mixed Form); CD-I; Photo CD; Video CD; CD-Extra (CD-Plus); CD+G; CD Text
- Compatible with a large number of CD-R and CD-RW media
- Flash ROM allows for easy upgrade over the Internet
- Windows Plug & Play Compatible
- Supports Disc-at-Once, Track-at-Once, Session-at-Once, Variable & Fixed packet writing modes
- One-Year Full Warranty and Unlimited Toll-Free Tech Support
Plextor produces the highest quality drives on the planet and if youíve bought one of the recent TDK drives, Plextor makes those drives too. An interesting note is if you look very carefully on the side of a TDK box and examine the picture of the guy sitting and writing CDís, youíll notice that the drive he is using is a PlexWriter. Just thought youíd like to know that interesting fact!